What personal information do we hold?
- Personal and contact details such as full name, address, phone numbers and email address
- Family members (if Junior Diving Membership applies)
- Photographs (e.g. from diving trips).
How is personal information collected?
Personal information may be collected with the consent of the user, by way of interactive submission, or indirect submission via the Marlin Sub-Aqua Club website.
How does Marlin Sub-Aqua Club use this information?
There are various reasons why personal information is gathered electronically which includes but is not limited to:
- Provision of electronic services that require a user’s authenticity to be established
- Provision of other services offered by Marlin Sub-Aqua Club
- Participation in electronic surveys
- Participation in events offered by Marlin Sub-Aqua Club.
Information gathered with the explicit consent of the user will only be used for the purpose for which it was intended except in those circumstances where Marlin Sub-Aqua Club must provide it to fulfil statutory obligations. Marlin Sub-Aqua Club may use personal details to contact users directly for the purposes of obtaining further information needed to fulfil the original purpose.
Marlin Sub-Aqua Club may use personal information to contact users by electronic or physical means including but not limited to:
- Sending email to those that have requested it
- Telephoning users to obtain additional information and clarification, or provide information (e.g. during diving trips)
- Other electronic and physical correspondence.
Information that is gathered automatically without the explicit consent of the user will not be used by Marlin Sub-Aqua Club to identify an individual. Marlin Sub-Aqua Club may use this information for the purposes of demographic and statistical reporting with the purpose of enhancing the services that it offers to Marlin Sub-Aqua Club members and other users.
What is the legal basis for processing your personal information?
We rely on the following legal bases to use your personal data:
Where it is needed to provide you with our services to you as a member, such as:
- Processing an application for a membership subscription you hold with us, including the price, the payment methods available and the conditions to attach
- Managing your subscription with us, or an application for one
- Updating your records to keep you up to date with your subscription and contact you regarding renewal.
Where it is in our legitimate interests to do so, such as:
- Updating your records to keep you up to date with your subscription and contact you regarding renewal or important branch information
- To perform and/or test the performance of our service to Marlin Sub-Aqua Club members
- For management and audit of our operations including accounting
- To administer our good governance requirements such as internal reporting and compliance obligations or administration required for AGM processes and changes to committee.
To comply with our legal obligations.
How long is your personal information retained by us?
Unless we explain otherwise to you, we’ll hold your personal information based on the following criteria:
- For as long as we have reasonable needs, such as managing our relationship with you and managing our service to you as a member
- For as long as we provide services to you as a member
- Retention periods in line with legal and regulatory requirements or guidance.
We will usually delete your data as soon as practicable after you cease to be a member of the Club (usually within 14 days).
What should you do if your personal information changes?
You should tell us so that we can update Marlin Sub-Aqua Club records. We’ll then update your records if we can.
Do you have to provide your personal information to us?
We’re unable to provide you with our services to you as a member if you do not provide certain information to us. In cases where providing some personal information is optional, we’ll make this clear.
What are your rights under data protection laws?
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws. They don’t apply in all circumstances. If you wish to use any of them, we’ll explain at that time if they are engaged or not. The right of data portability is only relevant from May 2018.
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”)
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you.
Your right to object
You have the right to object to certain purposes for processing, in particular to data processed for direct marketing purposes and to data processed for certain reasons based on our legitimate interests. You can contact us to exercise these rights.
What are your marketing preferences and what do they mean?
We may use your home address, phone numbers, email address and social media or digital channels (for example, Facebook, Google and message facilities in other platforms) to contact you according to your marketing preferences. You can stop our marketing at any time by contacting us or by following the instructions in the communication.
Marlin Sub-Aqua Club will take reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal data it gathers in the course of operating electronic computer systems will be kept securely and within the control of an appointed committee member of Marlin Sub-Aqua Club at all times. Marlin Sub-Aqua Club will take reasonable precautions to ensure that all representations made for and on behalf of Marlin Sub-Aqua Club will be clearly identifiable.
Changes to this privacy notice
We may change this privacy notice from time to time by updating this page in order to reflect changes in the law and/or our privacy practices. We encourage you to check this privacy notice for changes whenever you revisit our website.
If you have any questions or comments about this privacy notice, or if you wish to exercise your rights, you can contact us.